University Policies
Policy Contact
Tracy Jordan-Cardillo Director of Payroll Services Email 401-863-1767

Wage Attachments


This policy states the University’s responsibility for wage attachments such as garnishments and tax levies and child support.

Policy Statement

The University is required by law to execute, often without the employee’s consent, all legal wage attachments such as tax levies, garnishments, bills of child support or other court ordered wage attachments.

Court ordered wage attachments and federal and state levies will be deducted based on the information provided by the court or agency.  Deductions will begin in the payroll cycle immediately following receipt of the attachment or levy or as otherwise specified in the attachment.

Although the court or regulatory agency is responsible for notifying the individual of the wage attachment the Payroll Office will also notify an individual about wage attachments after they are processed.

Wage attachments will end when Payroll receives official notification from the court or agency to end the attachment.


Wage Attachment: Wage attachment, also called wage garnishment, is the process of deducting money from an employee's pay as the result of a court order or action by an authorized agency. Common examples of debt that result in attachments include: child support, taxes, creditor garnishments, and bankruptcy orders.


A legal order received by the Payroll Office requiring withholding from an employee’s pay check to satisfy a debt (including child support).

There are three basic types of earnings garnishments:

  • Child Support Orders
  • Tax Levies (unpaid Federal or State income taxes)
  • Creditor Garnishments (unpaid obligations to creditors)

Most court orders specify a dollar amount to be deducted by the employer from your pay and remitted to the associated party.  If you have any questions regarding the amount currently withheld from your pay, please contact either the Payroll Manager or the Payroll Supervisor at

Brown University will only withhold the amounts that are court ordered and can only change the amounts withheld if ordered by the courts to do so.

Employees should seek legal counsel to request a change in the amount from the courts.

You should have received notice well in advance of the start of the mandatory withholding. You may contact the Payroll Manager or Payroll Supervisor at for further garnishment information, including the name of the attorney to contact.

Policy Owner

Approved By
University Controller
Contact Info
Tracy Jordan-Cardillo Director of Payroll Services Email 401-863-1767

Policy Last Reviewed