University Policies
Policy Contact
Tracy Jordan-Cardillo Director of Payroll Services Email 401-863-1767

Payroll Under and Over Payments


From time to time, paycheck adjustment or remediation is required due to error and other unforeseen circumstances. This policy applies to both overpayments and underpayments. 

Policy Statement

This policy outlines Brown University’s policy regarding incorrect payroll payments.

Effective 10/28/20, payment adjustments must be made directly in Workday using the Requests App on Your Home Landing Page. Once the request is completed and submitted, routing to Payroll and other appropriate offices will be secure and transparent. This new functionality replaces the former process of submitting over and under payments using a Google Form.  If there are issues with inaccurate or incomplete information on the form, the Payroll Office will send back the over/under request to your Workday Inbox. A link to the Workday training and  job aid can be found here and is also available through Workday Learning.

 Payment adjustments will be added to the next pay period payment for the payee unless a large portion of the employee's pay is missing.  On demand payments should only be requested for regular salary and wage payments. Requests may be considered if at least one of the following established criteria is met. Exceptions to receiving On Demand Checks:

  • To comply with state law
  • Administrative errors
  • Employee has received less than 50% of their wages
  • Financial hardship

The Payroll Office will not process On Demand Checks based on the following established criteria:

  • Retroactive pay
  • The employee did not enter and submit their own hours on time
  • The employee has received 50% of their wages
  • Supplemental payments, if the employee has been paid for their regular time

Approved on demand payments are generated weekly each Friday. Requests for on demand payments must be approved and submitted by Tuesday by 4:00 PM in order for a payment to be generated on a Friday. 

When there is an overpayment, the net amount of the overpayment will be determined by the Payroll Office and deducted from the next employee paycheck.  If the individual is no longer employed by Brown, the department for whom the employee worked is responsible for requesting the return of the overpayment from the former employee.  The department must send the collected overpayment (check) to the Payroll Office for processing. 


Employee:  The employee will contact his or her department’s HR Coordinator to report an under or overpayment.

HR Coordinator:  The HR Coordinator will complete the online Payroll Under and Over Payment Form to request a correction to the employee’s payment. 

Payroll Office:  The Payroll Office will calculate and process the correct payment.

Policy Owner

Approved By
University Controller
Contact Info
Tracy Jordan-Cardillo Director of Payroll Services Email 401-863-1767

Policy Last Reviewed